Have you ever opened a package and immediately noticed the transparent, shiny plastic sheet with an easy-to-peel tab on top? Chances are, you might’ve been looking at lidding film. These thin plastics have become increasingly common in everyday packaging, making opening and closing anything – from frozen food containers to medical supplies – easier.
However, the main question is: What exactly is a lidding film? At Golden Eagle, we’ll answer that question and provide more information about these must-have items for any modern package design. If you want to keep up with the trends of packaging solutions while learning something new — let’s get started!
What are Lidding Films?
Lidding films are flexible packaging materials used on generally rigid trays and containers. These provide another layer of protection to avoid contamination or extend shelf-life, especially for food items. Nevertheless, it’s also used to protect healthcare and hygiene products, as well as home and industrial goods.
This lidding companion comes in different types and depends on a product’s application. Fortunately, it can be optimized to cater to the varying specifications and requirements. Additionally, its versatility and lightweight nature make lidding films a preferred option in many industries. As a result, they’ve become increasingly popular with the rise of technology, particularly in packaging automation.
Common benefits include:
- Clean and easy peeling
- It comes in different peel levels (Easy Peel, Medium Peel, Hard Peel, or Weld/Lock Seals)
- High-quality prints
- Quality preservation
- Guarantees consumer safety
The advantages lidding films offer can make any packaging desirable. It’s an attractive packaging solution that doesn’t compromise the safety of its users.
Most Common Types of Lidding Films Available
The right type of lidding film can maximize any product’s potential, especially if its purpose and application are considered. Luckily, several high-performance lidding films are available at Golden Eagle, which can enhance a product in many different ways, such as shelf life, convenience, etc.
Here are some of the most common types available:
- All Purpose Lidding Films: Golden Eagle has developed universal lidding films that will adhere to just about any tray substrate. These films can be customized for peelability, barrier, color, micro and macro perforation, etc. These films make it easy when choosing the proper film.
- Dual-ovenable films: As the name suggests, dual-ovenable lidding films are the ideal packaging for frozen food or prepped meals to be thrown into the oven for reheating. Not only are they suitable for ovens, but also microwaves. These are made with superior heat resistance.
- Peel/reseal lidding films: Ideal for trays or containers that require resealing after it has been opened, this type of lidding film is ideal for reducing food and package waste, and for prolonging the shelf-life of different products.
- High barrier lidding films: A broad range of high barrier lidding films are used to increase the shelf life of a product by preventing harmful bacteria and oxygen. You can pair these with different substrate types, such as CPET, APET, PE, PP, etc. Golden Eagle’s high barrier lidding films are well-suited for ready-made trays and top-webs on all thermoform-fill-seal (TFFS) lines.
- Breathable lidding films: If the goal is to extend a fresh-cut produce’s shelf-life, then breathable lidding films are best. These can optimize how CO² is released and O² is absorbed, creating an atmosphere that keeps the products fresh.
It’s worth noting that when choosing the lidding material, you should know if it matches the tray material to ensure the lidding film sticks or clings properly and securely. Moreover, if moisture or breathability is a concern, Golden Eagle can customize the lidding film to achieve the best results!
Consider Using Lidding Films for Your Next Packaging Application
Are you considering expanding your horizons and using lidding films for your next packaging project in the near future? If that’s the case, choose Golden Eagle for its broad range of specialty lidding films and its ability to adapt to different rigid containers or tray substrates!